Do you have insomnia, toss-and-turn at night, simply can’t sleep, maybe have trouble falling asleep, or even trouble just staying in a deep sleep? Maybe you have all of the above. Or maybe your mind is too active at night which prevents you from falling asleep? Or you're just not tired?
If so, then you are not alone.
I take melatonin to help me fall asleep, which I’ve been doing since 2010/2011. Lately I’ve had to increase the amount of melatonin to help me fall asleep. Unfortunately, it won’t help me STAY asleep and feel refreshed in the morning. Here are some tips and tricks I've used to fall asleep.
Sleeping tips and tricks:
- Eat your last meal at least 3 hours or more before bed (less chance of heart burn at night).
- Have a small protein snack before bed (for example; almond butter, or a handful of nuts).
- Exercise every morning.
- Read a book/turn off blue light electronics an hour before bed.
- Keep the temperature between 66 and 69 Fahrenheit.
- Melatonin 20 to 40 minutes before bed (helps to fall asleep).
- ZMA (Zinc Monomethionine Aspartate, Magnesium Aspartate and Vitamin B6): supposedly some studies say it helps the body with deeper levels of REM sleep. It didn’t work for me, just gave me a headache before bed. But may be worthwhile to research and look into. See below for what I recommend.
- iOS sleep apps that monitor and track sleep (useful to see how you sleep and when you wake up or move).
All of the above are helpful in getting to sleep. But they do not help with staying asleep. I've been prescribed Ambien in the past, but I disliked how I was forced to fall asleep, it didn't feel natural.
Speaking of Ambien, In 2011, 60 million prescriptions were written for sleep medication. In 2006, 47 million. It looks like we are getting less sleep every year!
What has helped me the most is the following product.
At the time of writing this, I've been taking SLEEP for 2 months. I'll take it about 30 minutes before going to bed. It's a mint flavored strip that you dissolve on your tongue. It'll make you feel sleepy after 20 to 30 minutes (the melatonin). It has a tri–phasic approach to help in falling asleep and staying asleep. So far, it has worked for me!
In all disclosure, I make a commission off of SLEEP, but I have yet to find anything that works as well. I recommend giving it a try. See if it helps with your sleep. SLEEP is by far the best product I’ve tried to date that helps me fall asleep and STAY asleep.
If you have any questions, please comment below or send me an email.